Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Some Of Them Are Old

Some guys play guitars; some play keyboards or horns; Brian Eno plays the recording studio. And in the theatre of ideas, he's outside and down the block a ways.

Whereas most of his "peers" write songs and then work in the studio to make them sound good, Eno writes songs to use them as platforms upon which he can experiment with sounds. Maybe his lyrics don't make very much sense; or maybe they do; who knows? But they certainly sound good together. And the same goes for the intsruments.

On this track: Andy Mackay played seven saxophones, Eno sang eight or ten vocal tracks, and everything else is thick and multi-layered as well, except Lloyd Watson's insane slide guitar solo. Somehow it all works together, leaving you with the impression that you understood it all completely, and that it's all a big mystery, simultaneously.

Hide your madness in a jar. It would help if you could smile. Remember me. Remember me.

People come and go
And forget to close the door
And leave their stains and cigarette butts
Trampled on the floor
And when they do
Remember me
Remember me

Some of them are old
Some of them are new
Some of them will turn up
When you least expect them to
And when they do
Remember me
Remember me

Lucy you're my girl
Lucy you're a star
Lucy please be still
And hide your madness in a jar
But do beware
It will follow you
It will follow you

Some of them are old
But it would help if you could smile
To earn a crooked sixpence
You'll walk many crooked miles
And as you do
Remember me
Remember me