Monday, February 7, 2022

Shin Kicker

For most of his career, Rory Gallagher led a fabulous power trio with Gerry McAvoy on bass and Ted McKenna on drums. Gerry and Ted were both excellent high-energy players who never got any love because they always played with Rory, and Rory was so ... well ... listen:

This is the opening track from the album "Photo Finish", which blew my little mind clean away the first time I heard it (in 1978).



Could they play it live? Not really. They tried hard, but it always came out just a little bit better. Here's a clip from Montreux in 1979; you can see what I mean.


Well it's a shin-kickin' morning
Gotta kick-start today
Wind up my machine and I'll be on my way

Well a burning fever
Woke me up at the dawn
I didn't have a choice, I had to carry on

Well my engine's overheating
And I'm running out of gas
I only got two speeds and it's slow and fast

Well I got to find a town that's got some action
Got to find a place that's open late, right away

Well, I got to find a town that's got more action
Got to find a place stays open late, right away

C. C. Mama
Motorcycle queen
I'm gonna catch up with you with my lightning wheels

It's cold, black coffee
Eggs and grease
Stop in at the truckstop, I don't want to sleep

Well, it's a shin-kickin' morning
I'm gonna turn up the heat
I'm racing all the truckers and I got them beat
You know I'm racing all the truckers and I got them beat
Racing all the truckers and I've got them beat

Wind up my machine and I'll be on my way
I'm gonna wind up my machine and I'll be on my way
Wind up my machine and I'll be on my way