Friday, November 29, 2013

She Sells

"She Sells" is the only song Roxy Music ever recorded for which Eddie Jobson was given a composition credit. Melodically and harmonically, it is very different, and much richer, than anything else they ever did. Can you spot the connection?

Here's how it came out in the studio:



And here's a good live version:



Now you're talking in headlines
Up to the minute and free
Stop press hold the front page up as a mirror
Are you reading me?

Watch you walking in waltz time
A jigsaw puzzle in tune
Or are you faking a straight line
To suit yourself too soon

Rather nouveau than never
Contemporary ideal
Some natural kind of poet might slow it
But she sells more my speed

She sells country and modern
Ancient western song
Of oriental confusion
You so right me so wrong

Now you're fixing to fly me
Auto-erotic please
Off the record you glide in
Your lingerie's a gift-wrap
Slip it to me

Nine till five the daily grind
Made-up lies make up my mind
Same machine consuming me consuming you

Oh why oh why she sells I need
Oh why love why she sells I need
Eddie Jobson with his plexiglass violin