Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Way Downtown

"Doc" watson was a genius who taught himself to play guitar as well as (if not better than) any bluegrass musician of his generation, without being able to see it -- or anything else.

He was higly regarded and hugely influential, not least because his spectacular technique never got in the way of the music. He wasn't just playing the guitar; he was always playing the song.

There will never be another like him, and those who miss him feel his loss profoundly. But we console ourselves with the thought that his music always belonged in Heaven. We were lucky to have some of it here for a while.

And it's my theory that one of his most beloved tunes might make this cold blog feel just a little bit warmer.

Here's Doc with the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, from "Will The Circle Be Unbroken" (1972). We'll hear:

Doc Watson: Lead Vocal and Guitar
John McEuen: Banjo
Les Thompson: Mandolin
Jim Ibbotson: Guitar
Jimmie Fadden: Harmonica
Vassar Clements: Fiddle
Roy "Junior" Huskey: Bass
Jeff Hanna: Background Vocal

The whole album was recorded live to stereo, and every song was done in one or two takes. That may explain why it sounds so fresh and crisp. But to explain why it sounds so perfect, we need to talk about musicianship. They had so much of it in one room at the same time!



Way downtown foolin' around
Took me to the jail
Oh me and it's oh my
Ain't no one to go my bail

It was late last night when Willie came home
I heard him a-rappin' on the door
He's a-slippin' and a-slidin' with his new shoes on
Papa said Willie don't you rap no more

Way downtown foolin' around
They took me to the jail
Oh me and it's oh my
Ain't no one to go my bail

I wish I was over at my sweet Sally's house
A-sittin' in that big armchair
One arm around my old guitar
And the other one around my dear

Way downtown foolin' around
They took me to the jail
Oh me and it's oh my
Ain't no one to go my bail

Well this one old shirt is about all I've got
And a dollar is all that I crave
'Cause I brought nothin' with me into this old world
And ain't a-gonna take nothing to my grave

Way downtown foolin' around
Took me to the jail
Oh me and it's oh my
Ain't no one to go my bail

Way downtown foolin' around
Took me to the jail
Oh me and it's oh my
Ain't no one to go my bail