Sunday, December 19, 2021

Pearl Of The Quarter

Lately we've been listening to sad songs featuring wonderful pedal steel players doing wondrous things, and there are only about a million more to choose from, but this one's special, at least to me, and not only because it's from Steely Dan.

This is from their second album, "Countdown to Ecstasy", and "The Dan" at the time was still more or less a band, not having imploded quite yet but without David Palmer, who sang lead vocals on the first album.

On this track we'll hear:
Donald Fagen: piano and vocals
Denny Dias: guitar
Walter Becker: bass
Jim Hodder: drums
Jeff Baxter: pedal steel



From the harmonic-theory standpoint, there's a lovely sequence that starts under "And if you hear" and again under "Please make it clear" in which the bass descends by a semitone with each chord change, while a parallel line in the melody descends by a whole tone with every two changes. The piano plays C#m7, C7, Bm7, Bb7, and so on. So the bass plays "C#, C, B, Bb, ..." while the parallel line goes "E, E, D, D, ..."

OK, maybe it's not really "parallel". Maybe it's "parallel" in the same sense that the blade of a saw is straight. But I don't know a better word. And certainly these two lines could go on forever in either direction without meeting. So there!

You don't hear much of this in rock. I'd be hard-pressed to find another example. But then again Fagen and Becker only played rock. They grew up listening to jazz. And it would take a jazzer to think, "The song is in C, so let's start this section on C#m7."

Rockers don't think like that. I'm convinced most of 'em don't think at all. But never mind that. Listen to this:

On the water down in New Orleans
My baby's the pearl of the quarter
She's a charmer like you never seen
Singing "voulez-voulez-voulez-vous"

Where the sailor spends his hard-earned pay
Red beans and rice for a quarter
You can see her almost any day
Singing "voulez-voulez-voulez-vous"

And if you hear from my Louise
Won't you tell her I say hello?
Please make it clear
When her day is done
She got a place to go

I walked alone down the miracle mile
I met my baby by the shrine of the martyr
She stole my heart with her Cajun smile
Singing "voulez-voulez-voulez-vous"

She loved the million dollar words I'd say
She loved the candy and the flowers that I bought her
She said she loved me and was on her way
Singing "voulez-voulez-voulez-vous"

And if you hear from my Louise
Won't you tell her I love her so?
Please make it clear
When her day is done
She got a place to go

And if you hear from my Louise
Won't you tell her I love her so?
Please make it clear
When her day is done
She got a place to go