Sunday, July 17, 2022

Oliver's Army

Here's a brilliant song from Elvis Costello & The Attractions. This was on 1979's "Armed Forces", of which we may hear more someday soon.

On the studio version of this track, Elvis sings and plays guitar, and The Attractions play but they don't sing. So in addition to Elvis, we'll hear:

Steve Nieve: Keyboards
Bruce Thomas: Bass
Pete Thomas: Drums

I've been revisiting the studio version lately, and appreciating all the parts as well as the whole. There's plenty to appreciate.

In my opinion: The lyrics are brilliant, and Elvis did a really good job of singing them. Pete's drumming is solid and clever as always, Bruce's bass is tight and smart as always, and Steve is not nearly as naive on the keys as his (stage) name would lead you to believe. I just love the way he plays this song. This was remastered in 2020:



I think the production is gorgeous. Nick Lowe was the mastermind behind the desk and he brought some subtle and lovely touches to the finished product. Do you hear them? If you don't, that testifies to their subtlety.

They made a video for it and, as we've come to expect, nothing about the video is the least bit subtle. But it's fun.



They gave it a go on "Top Of The Pops", miming along to the recording, and Elvis got lost on the guitar before the camera zoomed in to show just his face.



It's a sad moment; he's a better guitar player than you'd guess from this.

We also have a live version on which Elvis plays and Bruce sings harmony. The mix isn't great but we're not here for the mix. I mostly wanted to see The Attractions play it; I could do without all the crowd shots. But that's just me, and I might be a bit grumpy.



I do love the song, though!
Don′t start me talking
I could talk all night
My mind is sleepwalking
While I'm putting the world to right
Call careers information
Have you got yourself an occupation?

Oliver′s army is here to stay
Oliver's army are on their way
And I would rather be anywhere else
But here today

There was a checkpoint Charlie
He didn't crack a smile
But it′s no laughing party
When you′ve been on the murder mile
Only takes one itchy trigger
One more widow, one less white nigger

Oliver's army is here to stay
Oliver′s army are on their way
And I would rather be anywhere else
But here today

Hong Kong is up for grabs
London is full of Arabs
We could be in Palestine
Overrun by a Chinese line
With the boys from the Mersey and the Thames and the Tyne

But there's no danger
It′s a profession a career
Though it could be arranged
With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
If you′re out of luck or out of work
We could send you to Johannesburg

Oliver's army is here to stay
Oliver's army are on their way
And I would rather be anywhere else
But here today
And I would rather be anywhere else
But here today
And I would rather be anywhere else
But here today
Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh